click to enlarge
1953 Champion 400H

Hermann Holbein, creator of the Champion CH2 sold the rights to build a 250cc and a 400cc microcar to "The Champion Motor Company" in June of 1951.

Rumors of financial trouble and possible bankruptcy caused suppliers to become concerned that they would not be paid for the car parts they produced. A business deal involving the owner of Delta Refrigerator of all things helped and eventually the production of Microcars continued through no less than Three factories over Three years.

Introduced in 1951, the Champion 400 had very modern, nearly symmetrical lines and a 398cc ILO 2 cylinder motor.

This symmetry was passed on to the side windows which where semi-circular and pivoted down into the door.

Minor changes in 1953 incorporated a similar engine but one made by Heinkel, this model was designated the Champion 400H.

This example was restored by The Bruce Weiner Microcar Museum
and will run and drive.

Manufacturer: Reinische Automobilfabrik, Hennhöfer & Co. Ludwigshafen , Germany

Model: 400H Motor: Heinkel 2-stroke Body:Steel
Years Built: June 1953-Oct 1954 No. Cylinders: 2 Chassis:Tube
No. Produced: 1969 Displacement: 396 cc Suspension Front: Rubber Torsion
No. Surviving: few Horsepower: 15 Suspension Rear: Rubber Torsion
Length: 3170 mm Gearbox: 3 fwd + rev Steering: Rack & Pinion
Width: 1470 mm Starter: Hand Brakes: Hydraulic
Weight: 820 kg Electrics: 6v 4 Wheels: 4.25 x 15
Interior: Bench Ignition: Coil Top Speed: 85 km/h

© 2008