1961 Taylor-Dunn Trident
Taylor-Dunn Manufacturing was founded in 1949 by a Southern California farmer named R. D. Taylor Sr.
He built hand carts for carrying feed on his chicken ranch in Anaheim, California.
To this day the company is still located on the original ranch property. He decided to expand his business by selling equipment and supplies to fellow farmers. As the carts got heavier local farmers asked if he could make a motorized version. Production of the first electric truck started in 1951 and was used on his own chicken ranch. They then began making and selling electric trucks to other farmers and ranchers.
That year, Fred A. Dunn joined the business and four years later it became Taylor-Dunn® Manufacturing Company.
In the June of 1955, Taylor-Dunn came out with the model "PG", a three wheeled, 24 volt electric car for getting around the neighborhood for shopping, etc. It came with headlights and taillights and tiller steering.
In 1959, Taylor-Dunn came out with the model "R" Trident three wheel neighborhood cart with headlights, taillights and turn signals. They made these until 1963.
Taylor-Dunn continues to manufacture carts for industry from ground support vehicles and burden carriers to stock chasers and dump trucks.